Sandwich can be defined as two or more slices of bread with fillings such as meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables or dairy products in a balanced structure. It is versatile and nutritious meal. Sandwiches are now getting fame as someone can get all of his/her picks tucked between the slice of bread. It is best accompanied by barbecue sauce, tomato ketchup, deep fried potatoes or salad. Varieties of bread can be used to prepare it like white, brown, ciabatta, baguette etc.
History of Sandwich: John Montague (1718-1792), the fourth Earl of sandwich, use to gamble in a Beef Steak Club Restaurant London invented the first sandwich. It is believing that he ordered his valet to bring him a meat tucked piece of bread, so that he would be able to eat and play at a time. Today billions of sandwiches of unbelievable variety are after his legacy.
Health Benefits: Grain foods are the vital source of carbohydrates, which provide energy. The fiber in whole grain prevents cancer. Vitamin B, Niacin, thiamin, folic acid and riboflavin can help to prevent memory loss.
Types of Sandwiches
- Open Sandwich: - Fillings are presented and decorated in a single slice of b bread. Open sandwiches are complicated as they need a high degree of balance while adjusting filling and cutting in some fancy shapes.
- Closed Sandwich: - Fillings in this type of sandwiches are presented between two or more slices of bread. Trimming and cutting are important aspect while preparing this type of sandwich. The type and number of fillings are determined the way it is cut and served.
- Cooked: - It is either grilled or toasted type of sandwich. It could be made in two ways, either the fillings are presented between toasted bread slices and trimmed or the fillings are presented between two slices than grilled and served directly.
Varieties of Sandwiches
- Sandwich cake: - The leaf is cut into round circle and the fillings are presented between round slices as to have a look like a cake.
- Sandwich loaf: - The fillings are presented between two or three rectangular slices, decorated as sandwich cake and sliced across the bread and served.
- Pinwheel: - Bread slices are trimmed and flattened, spread is applied along with, fillings are presented and the loaf is rolled up and chilled. It is cut into slices and served.
- Sandwich ribbons: - It is generally prepared by using two-colored bread (brown or white) the fillings are presented in well-balanced manner. It is cut into stripes and served.
- Double Decker/club sandwich: - Two types of fillings are presented between three slices of buttered bread. Whole structure is balanced, trimmed and held together with cocktail stick and given a perfect decoration.
Fillings of Sandwich
Fish: Smoked Bismarck, herring, salmon.
Meat: Roast beef slices, roast turkey lamb roast, pork roast, ham, poultry, etc.
Salad items: Tomato, lettuce, cucumber, onions and beet roots.
Cheese: Cottage, cream, cheddar, swiss, etc.
Eggs: Hard-boiled and sliced, omelets, etc.
Savory Sandwich Spread
- Lemon spread
- Onion spread
- Olive mouse
- French mustard
- Preservative and pickles