Once in a blue moon: The usual color of a moon is light yellow, but sometimes, for some unknown reasons and on some very rare occasions, moon can become blue. Thus, this idioms means that very rare or extraordinary.
Example: I love doing the gardening. If I forget watering my flowers, it is once in a blue moon.
Over the moon: in human culture, moon is of favorable things. That’s why this idiom means being significantly happy or pleased. You can use this idioms when talking about some of your happy experiences or about things you love.
Examples: I felt over the moon at the moment that I finally managed to pass my driving test.
A drop in the ocean: It is a common knowledge that every oceans has many drops. This idiom is quite easy to understand. It means that very small and hard to notice.
Example: Though trying hard, all my efforts to comfort her are just a drop in the ocean.
Rain cats and dogs: For you to talk about your memorable experience, using this idioms can give the listener a strong and impressive feelings about a heavy rain.
Example: On the day I have to take that important exam, it was raining cats and dogs.
Give a second thought on Sth: It means that you will think about it more or consider carefully about it.
You can use this idioms when talking about important decisions in your life.
Example: When it turned out to be that my father has cancer, I had to give a second thought on learning abroad.
A piece of cake: This idiom means very easy, and there is no need to put any effort to do.
Example: Finding restaurant seems hard to many people, but for me, it just like a piece of cake.
- Absence makes the heart grow fonder– Our love for the loved ones grows more with the distance.
The two brothers deeply wish to meet as they haven’t seen each other since 10 years. After all, absence makes the heart grow fonder.
- Accidents will happen in the best regulated families– Unforeseen can happen with anybody.
You need to be extremely cautious with electricity – The accidents will happen in the best regulated families.
- Actions speak louder than words– What people do shows more about them than what they just say.
Hearing about her friend’s illness, she directly reached the hospital with a cheque of 50,000 Rs/-. Her concern was evident – after all, actions speak louder than words.
4. Appearances are deceptive– Internal truth of a person is usually different from what is visible outside.
You should not believe strangers immediately. Appearances can be deceptive.
5. Never judge by appearances – Don’t use looks as the criteria to assess someone.
I saw the CEO of a big blue chip company hanging out with his friends at a local market in casual attire. Its true that you can’t judge someone by their appearance.
6. An apple a day keeps the doctor away – An apple eaten everyday keeps you in good health.
My father has always stayed in a good health with his habit of eating an apple everyday. For him, An apple a day keeps the doctor away has worked well.
7. Art is long, life is short. – Life is too short to learn all the art in this world.
She always complained of getting bored. I advised her to learn some music or painting. After all, Art is long, life is short.
8. Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater – Be careful to not throw away good things with bad while cleaning.
She deleted some useful files also along with the useless ones while cleaning her computer. I had advised her to be careful and not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
9. You scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours – If you help me, I’ll help you.
America is pushing the Indian government for FDI in retail. Indian government will get the foreign currency while America gets a big market for its goods. The principle is simple – You scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours.
10. Beauty is only skin deep – Never judge by appearance – A good looking woman may not necessarily be good by character.
My daughter-in-law is very beautiful but very cunning – Beauty is only skin deep.
11. As you make your bed, so you must lie in it. – Be prepared to face the consequences of your wrong actions.
To full his dreams, he had left his parents alone in their old age. Now his son wants to go abroad with his wife and settle there. He has made his bed, now he must life in it.
12. Honesty is the best policy – Being truthful saves you from many problems. It is the best thing to do.
You may make a quick buck with dishonest means but ultimately you may not get a good night’s sleep. Honesty is the best policy to follow for a happy life.
13. Beggars can’t be choosers – A needy person should accept what is offered without complaining.
She was complaining about the amount of money they had sent. I asked her to accept gratefully what she has got – Beggar’s can’t be choosers.
14. Big is beautiful – Large size is advantageous.
One way to separate good fruits from bad is the size. Big is beautiful.
15. Birds of a feather flock together – People with similar qualities, seek each other’s company.
I am sure she must be a genius doctor. She is a close friend of Dr. Ram, who referred me to her – Birds of a feather flock together.
16. The early bird catches the worm – The quicker one/ first in line gets the opportunities.
He reached first and picked up the best deal. The early bird caught the worm.
17. Once bitten, twice shy – From experience, we learn to avoid situation causing trouble or distress.
Its three years since she divorced her husband. Everyone is forcing her to re-marry but she doesn’t want to. Once bitten, twice shy is the situation she is in.
18. There’s a black sheep in every family – One member in every family doesn’t fit into the characteristic of the family.
My son is the black sheep of our family. All of us are very talkative while he is very reserve.
19. Two blacks don’t make a white – You can not justify something wrong you have done because someone else has also done it.
You can not justify your late night parties just because your friend attends them. Two blacks don’t make a white.
20. If the blind lead the blind, both shall fall- If a person lacking in some expertise leads others, all of them shall fail.
They mistook me to be a great singer and sent their children to learn singing. If a blind leads the blind, both shall fail.
21. In the country of the blind, the one eyed man is king – The person with a little ability in a group of those with absolutely no ability is at an advantage.
In the whole group, Marie is the only one who knows the basics of coding. She is like that one eyed man who is a king in the country of blind.
22. There are none so blind as those who will not see – It is useless explaining those who do not want to understand.
Her son usually misbehaves with the relatives but she doesn’t find anything wrong in him. There are none so blind as those who will not see.
23. Blood is thicker than water – Family relationship is stronger than others.
His brother was aware about his life threatening ailment but he did not call up even once to inquire and they say blood is thicker than water.
24. Half a loaf is better than no bread – Be grateful for what you get rather than complaining for what you don’t have.
Judiciously use the money your father sends you rather than complaining for the things he can’t afford. Half a loaf is better than no bread.
25. You can’t make bricks without straws – You can’t accomplish something without the right material.
Of course, you need to study hard to win a gold medal. You can’t make bricks without straws..